Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer Reading

Remember a few posts ago I told you about calling a friend and asking for a summer reading list? I asked her for a list of 5 books because that is what I believed I would be able to read this summer. The list she gave me included more than that. I have been reading, unfortunately I have only been able to read one from her list because I haven't been able to find any others at the library.

Here is what I have read so far...

A Prayer for the Dying by Stuart O'Nan
This book was set seven years after the Civil War. The main character, the town constable, was involved in everyone's lives the their small town. When someone broke a law, he was there; when someone died, he was there; when the town was in need of a quarantine he was there... The small town was devastated by diphtheria. This was his journey and struggle with the events as they progressed.

Not a bad book, well written and definitely an interesting take. It obviously wasn't a pick-me-up kind of book and is one that will stay with me for quite some time. Ryan and I were recently talking to a friend of ours and we discussed the fact that so often we learn better from tragedies than comedies - this is one of those.

The Secret Garden by Francis Hogdson Burnett
A classic that I had never before read. I do have fond memories of this story as my cousin, Sara, and I were spending the night at our grandma's and we rented the movie (it must have been the 1993 version). Though I could not remember any of the plot I did remember enjoying that time with Grandma and Sara.

When I finished Ryan asked me what the whole point of the book was. This is how I summed it up. The lesson is to embrace and cherish what you have, while you have it. Also do not fear the unknown. We cannot put life on hold because of "what ifs."

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond
This is a love story about how a young women in her 20s found love in a very unlikely companion and their story from beginning to the birth of their first child. Ree is an incredible author so funny, extremely entertaining and someone you wish you were personal friends with.

She also has a blog (that is how she got her start) she began blogging in 2006 and has not stopped. Her blog includes regular blog entries, photography, recipes and home schooling. She is a woman that lives on a ranch with her husband and four children and she seems to do it all.

Up next: A Tale of Two Cities.

No comments: