Friday, February 26, 2010

Traditions...

Shortly after Ryan and I were married I was anxious to have children and Ryan was more concerned about both of us graduating college. One morning I woke up from having a shocking dream. In my dream there were two little girls - they looked fairly close in age - the girls were holding hands and the older one spoke, "why are you waiting so long to have us?" The dream was so real to me that I felt anxious. As you know, my first baby was a boy and immediately Ryan discounted my dreams from then on. Well, maybe my dream had some meaning after all...

My ultrasound today was a decent experience. We were able to see all of the vital organs, everything was measured and looks right on for how far I am along, and I have some good pictures of the profile. The baby is breach right now, which doesn't mean much because I will have sixteen more weeks for the little thing to squirm around. It was more difficult to detect gender because the bottom is down. However, the tech checked four times and each time she thought it is probably a girl but there is no definite answer because it could have been hiding from the view we were given. But, the tech didn't tell me what we were looking at and I thought "oh, that looks like two legs and a little bottom...gosh, that must be a girl." Each time the tech confirmed my thought that it is probably a girl. We have decided on the name Elysse Jayne. If it happens to turn out to be a modest boy, his name will be Lincoln Joseph. But I think we should be expecting a girl.

Nathan has wanted a boy. However, for a brief moment he thought he wanted to have a girl so that he could name her Peaches (because of the Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs movie). When I pick Nathan up from school in an hour I am going to break the news to him that he is probably going to have another sister and if he wants, he can call her Peaches. Audrey said, "oh, I wanted Yinkin." L sound isn't her specialty yet. But she doesn't seem to really care one way or the other.

One who knows me well would think that not having a definite answer is driving me crazy - I am such a planner. However, I am totally fine not knowing. I do expect that the baby is a girl but it doesn't really matter. I have saved all of the clothes, equipment, etc. and I already plan on painting the room a soft green. If Elysse shows up there will be purple accents and if Lincoln comes along we will have navy blue accents. The only thing that is a bummer is that I am going to have to dig out the smallest boy and girl clothes and wash them, just in case we do have a boy. Ryan didn't understand how we could get such good pictures of the baby and still not know if it is a boy or a girl. At any rate, he is really surprised by the prognostication. He expected that we were having a boy and he claims that he isn't going to believe anything until we see the baby for ourselves. But he's thrilled either way, just a little difficult to think about it with everything still ongoing with Audrey.

Maybe this will help me to ward off my friends from having a baby shower. I really don't want to have one - we are fully stocked with all of the clothing - any more outfits and we will need to build another closet. The only thing I really need are hangers!!! My order to Pottery Barn for the quilt will just have to wait. If you are interested in looking it is on the Pottery Barn Kids website and it is the Lavender Katie Patchwork Quilt - since the baby won't be sleeping in a twin bed for at least two years there isn't a hurry in ordering - especially since it isn't on sale yet anyway.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Congratulations either way! I going with girl all the way. I had a dream that Jake was Jake, so I am putting my bets on your dream! My internet has been causing me headaches the past couple of weeks so I am on Aaron's laptop because I had to see how you all are doing. Glad they figured out what was going on with Audrey and glad it is getting better! I am also glad to here you are starting to get some relief for your pain! I am keeping you all in my prayers and miss you! I swear one day soon I am going to get a spare minute or 2 and I will call you!!!!

Ruth said...

I'm excited to hear that you're having a girl, or maybe a boy. :) I'm so glad that you get to be home again and I'm sure life will regain some sense of normalcy (sp?) again.

Yes, I don't complain about what shem wears running with me anymore and you should've seen what he wore yesterday! Khaki cargo shorts, a fleece, black crew socks, tennis shoes, baseball hat with some old school headphones since his broke...i love him enought to not care what he looks like, but I will probably always give suggestions on what he could wear depending on the weather. :)

Sara said...

I love those names! Glad that you are home and hope that you all start doing better. I think of you all the time. And thank you for the b-day card!