Saturday, October 15, 2011

30th Birthday

I must first start this post by saying that I love birthdays and not just mine. I love the idea that we celebrate the birth of each individual. It is the one day during the year that is all for the person celebrating that day (well except for those that share their birthdays). Acknowledging a person for a day out of the year can be so special.

I go all out to make sure that everyone in my family feels special on their day. It doesn't always involve huge presents. Usually the special things include the birthday banner, breakfast in bed, homemade dinner of choice, cake that represents something they are currently "into," and if time permits an activity that is enjoyed by the birthday person.

Audrey asked me what I wanted to have for my birthday. (So I thought of something she would like to have) I told her I would like a toy porcupine. She wasn't sure how to pull that off so she and Nathan decided to draw one for me. On my birthday morning Nathan and Audrey both recognized that they should be serving me breakfast in bed but instead I was packing lunches for both of them and Ryan. I just love that they are catching on to all of the traditions. I hope that they will be excellent orchestrators of all of the birthdays they will celebrate in their families some day.

Last year I began the tradition of giving myself a birthday gift - a clean house and shaved legs! I kept that tradition up this year and I think I will for years to come. Well, maybe until I get a bit older and a little smarter and then I will hire someone to give me the clean house instead of doing it on my own!!

1 comment:

tempppo said...

Happy belated birthday. I'm glad you got what you wanted. :)