Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why I haven't been posting

I know it seems I have nothing to say. The problem is that could not be further from the truth! I have so much to say! The problem is that Lazarus has finally died, I I do not expect that he will be brought back again. Nathan finished school last Friday and since then we have put together a church picnic, have started summer school and well...I guess that about says it all. BUSY! I have been doing a lot of fun things with my friend Christi, sometimes with the kids and sometimes without. I recently signed up for my own library card (long story why I am just now getting one.). The kids checked out a couple of books and I chose one as well. I didn't even know what to look for so I picked Water For Elephants because I had heard of it and it is becoming (or maybe already is) a movie. The novel was written by a woman though she is writing from a man's perspective. The book could have been good if she was not so graphic and disgusting. Perhaps I live in a bubble where men are nice, kind and non-vulgar. At first I thought I could read it by skipping "scenes" then scenes became chapters and I started to wonder if I was getting anything uplifting or otherwise entertaining from the book. So, I stopped. It saddens me that once again I am let down by another #1 New York Times best seller. Don't people read anything decent anymore? I called a friend and she gave me a list of books that I will be looking into for the remainder of my summer reading!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Could you pass that list of books on to me too? I need some good reads now that I'm home with Bug. Are you teaching your kids summer school? It sounds like a lot of fun for them and I love that they love having a schedule!

maureen6545@gmail.com said...

Since "Great Expectations" was free on my new Mother's Day/Birthday Kindle I've become reaquainted with it. It's better this time around, but still an annoying story. Next up are the Stieg Larsson stories about The Girl Who.........real summer reading!

Carrie said...

Maureen! I don't know you but we have something in common! I got the same mother's day/b-day gift and I am in LOVE! I am going to get "Great Expectations" right now! I have never read it before. It amazes me how the classics-the books with true moral lessons-are FREE! What does that say about our society? :)

Sorry-I just am slightly obsessed with my Kindle right now. Do you have one Tanya? If not you should get one. :)
I got "Water for Elephants" as a sample on my Kindle and I am so glad I read your blog to know that it is not a good book. Isn't it a bummer when you are in the mood to read and the books you try out just don't seem to have in value? I have been getting into classics lately (for the first time in my life!) and I am in love. Have you ever read "Anne of Green Gables" or "Laddie"? They are wonderful. I am on to Pride and Prejudice now. I am also starting The Federalist Papers but it makes me feel like a moron because are founding fathers were sooooo smart...I feel this sudden need to study our Constitution to be able to defend it...Strange I know but I am going with it. I am rambling-surprise, surprise! Chat with you later. :)

Carrie said...

I am just realizing I can't remember which way you spell your name...Is it Tonya or Tanya? I think it is with an o, isn't it...Sorry...